Dear students and parents,
I hope everyone enjoyed the fantastic weather and saw the beautiful blossoms all around our city over this wonderful long weekend!
Our big event on Tuesday, May 23 is the grade 4 trip to Batoche!
- It looks like the weather will be quite warm on Tuesday – sturdy footwear, hats and water bottle are important items to pack as you prepare for Tuesday!
- The tick population is extremely high this year. I expect we will see ticks at Batoche. Our students are no strangers to ticks this year as a few have made their way into the classroom already. I hope to do a quick visual tick check on each student (back of the neck just below the hairline) before we send the students home on Tuesday. It is advisable for parents to check their children for ticks at home. 🙂
- See an earlier post for more detailed information about the Batoche trip.
- Our swim trip is May 31 p.m.
- To prevent confusion, I will send out information about the swim trip after the Batoche trip.
Focus this Week
- Students have shown good manners and independent problem solving abilities as we have completed most of the personal reading tests. Only 1 student still needs a test – we will finish this upcoming week.
- All students will continue to work with decimals and fractions in math over the next week; all students will do a short “end of grade 4” math test on the week of May 29 to measure mathematical growth this year and to help staff plan for grade 5 math instruction.
Daily Math Facts
- Subtraction review home practice books go home on Wednesday. All students will take part in the subtraction review quizzes.
- On May 31, we will turn off the timer and for 4 days students will do math facts that mix up the 4 operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).
- The last home math fact practice night scheduled for this year is Friday, June 2.
Spelling this WeekThis week’s assignments are due Thursday with tests on Thursday also. Students will have class time on Wednesday to complete their spelling assignments. Because of the long weekend and our Batoche trip, there is a short spelling window for this week. Our lessons this week are review lessons. Here is a preview for those of you who like to prepare early!
- Green group – Lesson 16-20R: Lessons 16 – 20 review spelling list
- White group – Lesson 24 (review of lessons 19-23): Lesson 24 spelling list
Here’s a look at week 36 . . .
- Victoria Day holiday – enjoy your long weekend! 🙂
- Batoche trip!
- A22 math fact quiz
- library exchange a.m. (second last exchange this year)
- phys. ed. a.m.
- S17 math fact quiz
- phys. ed. p.m.
- spelling assignments due and tests
- S18 math fact quiz
- Press’d hot lunch
- writer’s workshop p.m.
- marble rewards?
What do you hope to see at Batoche on Tuesday (May 23)?
May 22 week at a peek