Dear students and families,
I hope everyone enjoyed a fantastic Thanksgiving long weekend. Our class has been extremely busy over the last few weeks and students can be proud of their accomplishments in such a short time! Here are just a few of the things we’ve covered in class:
- co-construction of class norms/rules (class sounds like/looks like/feels like), procedures, voice levels
- classroom arrangement, supply organization, class jobs
- ongoing development of safe use of space in our classroom, learning community and building
- language arts: “about me” hands (moving forward together project), genre study/classification of books; introduction to novel study – The 11th Hour
- social studies: sharing circles, Canada political map, Terry Fox, Orange Shirt Day
- grade 5 math – number talks and patterns
- art projects: skewer name art, photo faces
Students have been busy with other teachers, too!
- phys. ed. with Mr. Arthurs
- science with Mrs. Fulton
- arts ed. with Miss Hall
- We had our introduction to the library with Mrs. Basky.
- EAL with Mrs. Nostbakken
- band with Mrs. Mckenzie
Moving forward this week . . .
- science with Ms B. – introduction to flight
- language arts: more 11th Hour; writer’s workshop – “Me, Myself and I”; more reading with Ms B.; introduction to self-reflection on independent reading
- health: the brain
- grade 6 math – place value – whole numbers to millions
- Green planner notebooks are updated by students daily in class. Please use the daily planners and the blog as starting points and reinforcement for those important daily conversations that preview, review and reinforce student activity in the classroom.
- Expect “week at a peek” blog posts by Monday most weeks of the rest of the school year. I urge family and student involvement (with parent permission/supervision) on the blog. See the “How to Comment” page for commenting guidelines that will be taught in class.
On a science note, I managed to get up for a flight in my plane on Friday. Students have been very curious about my airplane hobby. I prepared a few videos this weekend that will answer and generate questions. Here’s a light-hearted trailer (preview) of a short film we will look at this week to introduce routine preparations all pilots do before powered flight:
- the walk-around
- the run-up
Here’s a look at week 6!
- No school; Thanksgiving holiday
- Band sectionals period 1 (flutes and clarinets)
- phys. ed. a.m. – please have gym clothes and running shoes at school
- band a.m.
- picture orders due today
- grade 6 immunization a.m.
- band a.m.
- picture retakes a.m. (please bring proofs if you are having a retake)
- phys. ed. a.m.