Math Facts and Number Talks
- Addition home practice books went home on Wednesday.
- During the month of October our math fact focus is addition.
- Keep practicing your math facts at home in the way that is most helpful to you. If you are super speedy, challenge yourself by timing yourself. If you are less speedy, practice the whole page. Please remember to ask mom or dad to sign your planner page every time you practice! 🙂
- As we build automaticity and accuracy with math fact practice, number talks move students toward using more efficient (quicker) computational strategies.
- Students may learn many strategies and pick among them or they may just find one strategy that is a favourite and keep using it.
- We worked on the “making 10 strategy” of addition last week. Look for 10s, count by 10s and then add the “less than 10” amount on at the end. “Making 10s” is a more efficient strategy than counting on by ones or twos. See the photo that shows a number talk we did this week that encouraged the “making 10 strategy.” “Making 10s” is a strategy that everyone needs to have in their tool kit.
- This week we will review “making 10s” and move on to the “landmark or friendly number” strategy of addition.
- Last week’s skill focus: loose leaf, notebook and printing skills, “double spacing,” top of page, first side of page, duotang skills; punctuation at the end of each sentence (.?!), capital letters at the start of each sentence, proper printing (check the alphabet on your table)
- Reading is thinking! The prediction strategy is taught and practiced as students began working with their “I Wonder” notebooks.
- Handwriting clock climbers will begin this week: a, d, g, q, c
Spelling this week
Five grade 3 students and possibly one grade 4 student will continue to work on printing and alternate assignments this week before we get them started on the blue spelling group in week 7.
We introduce lesson 2 spelling words on Tuesday with assignment work time on Wednesday. Assignments are due Thursday with tests on Thursday also. For those of you who like to prepare early, here are this week’s spelling word lists:
- White group (mostly grade 3s): Lesson 2 spelling list
- Buff group (mostly grade 4s): Lesson 2 spelling
- Two grade 3 students and one grade 4 student did not hand in assignments for marking yet.
- All students (except for one!) have spelling corrections from lesson 1 assignment to complete.
- Students are not expected to correct errors on weekly spelling tests.
Here’s a look at week 6 . . .
- Thanksgiving Holiday – no school
- arts ed. a.m.
- +0 to +3 weekly whiz quiz (There is no practice sheet for the weekly whiz quiz in student practice books.)
- phys. ed. p.m.
- A5 math fact quiz (please practice Tuesday night and have mom or dad sign your planner)
- A6 math fact quiz (please practice Wednesday night and have mom or dad sign your planner)
- Spelling lesson 2 assignments due; spelling lesson 2 tests
- library exchange a.m.
- phys. ed. a.m.
- marble rewards p.m. (students with incomplete assignments will work on them during this time)
- A7 math fact quiz (please practice Thursday night and have mom or dad sign your planner)
- arts ed. p.m.