Dear students and families,
I’m very sorry to have missed all the excitement of Halloween at school this week 😥 . Happily, I am feeling much better and have my regular voice back. I look forward to seeing everyone on Monday! 😀
- We will spend time this week on the topics of “remembrance,” war and peace.
- Our school Remembrance Service is at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, November 8. Family members and friends are welcome to attend.
- Recess will be from 9:45 – 10:00 a.m. on that day.
- Students who are members of a scouting organization (boy scouts, brownies, etc.) are asked to wear their uniforms on Thursday.
- A student from our class will be selected to carry the class donations to the cenotaph during the service.
- Students will compose four sentences about “Why I Remember” and write them on paper poppies this week. All student compositions in the school will be displayed in the gym. Two students from our class will be selected to read their compositions during the Remembrance Service on Thursday.
- Poppy stickers will be given to students to wear to the Remembrance Service on Thursday morning before the service; please bring a donation for your poppy ($1 – $2 is reasonable) by Thursday morning (or sooner).
- Click here to read about “The Poppy Campaign.”
Math Number Talks
- This week, we will focus on using subtraction vocabulary and the relationship between addition and subtraction (fact families).
- The “adding up” subtraction strategy (very useful when giving someone money change) will be taught and encouraged this week.
Spelling this Week
This week is review lesson 6 for the buff and white groups.
- All the words come from the first 5 lessons and the exercises in the workbooks are a little different.
- There are 20 words in the review lists.
- Once students have completed all work and corrections, lessons 1-6 workbooks along with the unit test will be sent home forever. A sticker and a date stamp on the front page is the signal that they have been sent home to stay. 🙂
- Students will receive new workbooks for lessons 7-13 next week.
- The blue group does regular lesson 3 this week.
- Assignments are due Thursday with tests on Thursday also.
Here are the lists for those of you who like to prepare early:
- Lesson 6 (1-5 review) buff: Lesson 6 list
- Lesson 6 (1-5 review) white: Lesson 6 (1-5 review)
- Lesson 3 blue: Lesson 3 spelling list
Here’s a look at week 10 . . .
- S5 math fact quiz
- printing letter of the day – Qq
- phys. ed. p.m.
- pictures home today 😀
- S6 math fact quiz
- printing letter of the day – Rr
- arts ed. a.m.
- computers a.m.
- phys. ed. p.m.
- S7 math fact quiz
- printing letter of the day – Ss
- -4 to -7 whiz quiz
- spelling assignments due and tests
- library exchange a.m.
- last day to bring money for the poppy fund; wear uniforms (scouts, brownies, girl guides)
- short phys. ed. period a.m.; early recess (9:45 – 10:00 a.m.); Remembrance Service 10:00 a.m.
- marble rewards p.m.?
- no school for students; professional development for staff
- Remembrance Day holiday Monday, November 12 (no school)
- students return to school on Tuesday, November 13