Dear students and families,
I hope everyone enjoys the upcoming Family Day holiday and a break from school over the next week. Hopefully, when we return to school on Monday, February 25, our weather will be more seasonal and we can get back to enjoying the outdoors.
Students can be very proud of their hard work in 2019! Here are a few curricular updates as we move into March:
We encourage students to wear pink everyday this week.
- We will study relationships over the next few weeks.
- Parents, please check your email to see the parent information note about “I’m the Boss of Me.”
- Grade 3 “Structures and Materials” and grade 4 “Rocks, Minerals and Erosion” science unit.
- Links to relevant videos on the February 15 computer assignment post.
- Students’ research skills (jot notes) improve as they work toward collaborating in groups to create a game about a “Wonder of the World.”
- Groups will choose a “wonder” to create a game about when we return. Some sample “wonders” to think about over the break include:
|Great Pyramid of Giza||Hanging Gardens of Babylon||Stonehenge||Colosseum|
|Great Wall of China||Leaning Tower of Pisa||Taj Mahal||Channel Tunnel|
|CN Tower||Empire State Building||Golden Gate Bridge||Panama Canal|
|Machu Picchu||Chichen Itza||Alhambra||Eiffel Tower|
|Neuschwanstein||Grand Canyon||Great Barrier Reef||Mount Everest|
|Victoria Falls||Brooklyn Bridge||Bell Rock Lighthouse||Hoover Dam|
|Giants Causeway||Statue of Liberty||Sydney Opera House||Christ the Redeemer|
|Petra||Easter Island||Moai||Acropolis of Athens|
- Research sites for those who want to find facts ahead of time: 7 Wonders 360 degrees, Info Please, 7 Wonders of the World
- These games will be extraordinary because students will apply their computer block coding skills when they code Ozobot to travel on their game boards.
- It’s exciting to see everyone “thinking like scientists!” 🙂
Spelling this WeekThe week of February 25 spelling assignments are due Thursday with tests on Thursday also. Here is a preview for those of you who like to prepare early!
- Blue group – Lesson 11: Lesson 11 spelling list
- White group – Lesson 16: Lesson 16 spelling list
- Buff group – Lesson 16: Lesson 16 spelling list
Here’s a look at week 22 . . .
- Ms B. away
- M18/3-M21 math fact quiz
- phys. ed. p.m.
- M19/3-M22 math fact quiz
- arts ed. a.m.
- K-4 anti-bullying Rider assembly (10:45 a.m.) – wear some green with your pink today!
- phys. ed. p.m.
- M20/3-M23 math fact quiz
- Pink Day Assembly (8:45 a.m.)
- computers a.m.
- M21/3-M24 math fact quiz
- spelling assignments due and tests
- phys. ed. and library exchange a.m.
- computers p.m.
- “We Believe” filming in gym (for those who choose to participate)
- x6 whiz quiz (gr. 4)/x3 whiz quiz (gr. 3)
- computers today
- arts ed. p.m.