Dear students and families,
Students have shown tremendous growth in their ability to tell time on the analog clock this past week! Our focus is on identifying the hour on the short hand and using our 5 times tables to help count the minutes past the hour on the long hand.
The sexagesimal system (base 60) used for telling time and measuring angles has been in use longer than the decimal system (base 10) that we use for counting money and metric measurement. We will learn more about time with the words “past the hour” and “to the hour” when we work on division and fractions later in the year.
For now, students continue to work on identifying the time on the analog clock and converting it to digital time (example – 8:52). Here is a video we will watch this week that summarizes our work with time so far:
Sledding Tuesday p.m.!
It looks like our weather is warming up. I have booked the big hill for part of Tuesday afternoon for a class sledding session. This period will serve as our marble rewards session for this week. Students are welcome to bring personal sleds to school on Tuesday or they may use the school sliding carpets.
- Student sleds may be stored in the classroom for the day.
- Sleds can only be used during our class sledding time while I am supervising (not at recess).
- We will go over sled safety in class before going out to the hill (sitting on sled, no head first/belly sledding, going down the middle of hill, getting out-of-the-way immediately and going up the hill in the up lane).
- Students need to dress for this event – mittens and winter boots are necessary, ski pants or water-resistant pants keep students from being uncomfortable with wet pants when we return inside.
- In the event the weather is not as nice as forecast, we will postpone this event to another day.
Thank you to everyone who has let me know what you are bringing to our class lunch on Wednesday, January 29. Students are busy making and delivering invitations to staff who work with our class. If you have not done so already, please send me an email to confirm what your child is bringing to the lunch and the ingredients of the dish. I will email a menu update to class parents early this week. 😀
Spelling this Week
This week’s assignments are due on Thursday with tests on Thursday also. Here is a preview for those of you who like to prepare early. All groups will start new unit books this week:
- Green lesson 12: Lesson 12 spelling list
- White lesson 14: Lesson 14 spelling list
- Buff lesson 14: Lesson 14 spelling list
Here’s a look at week 19 . . .
- M19/3-M22 math fact quiz (please practice the night before)
- phys. ed. a.m. with Ms Fehr
- noon – opportunity for grade 3 to join grade 1-3 musical, Stone Soup; meet in small gym
- M20/3-M23 math fact quiz (please practice the night before)
- library a.m.
- class sledding (1:00 p.m.) (weather permitting)
- music p.m. with Mrs. Beaudry p.m.
- M21/3-M24 math fact quiz (please practice the night before)
- arts ed. p.m. with Mrs. Sansom
- Western school spirit day (dress up in western wear)
- x6 whiz quiz grade 4/x3 whiz quiz grade 3
- spelling assignments due/spelling tests
- keyboarding a.m. (WO)
- skipping club at noon
- phys. ed. p.m.
- M22/3-M25 math fact quiz (please practice the night before)
- phys. ed. a.m. with Mr. MacIntosh