I began my teaching career in rural Saskatchewan but have been with Saskatoon Public School Division for the past 23 years. My teaching career has been diverse and these assignments have been part of the variety!
- high school English teacher
- kindergarten to grade eight core French and music specialist
- private piano teacher
- middle years class home room teacher
- primary grade 3 and 4 teacher
I’m excited to work with grade 3 and 4 again in my 29th year of teaching! 🙂
Our agreement for success
I look forward to seeing students shine this year as we work together in a respectful, peaceful and safe classroom. As a teacher, it is my job to deliver grade three and four curriculum and to foster a safe and respectful learning environment for all. In turn, I expect that students respectfully do their part in this environment by doing their best to do what I ask of them. Entering into this agreement opens all of us fully to the learning opportunities that we will meet this year.
I am a strong advocate of minimizing sensory distractions in the learning environment to maximize student concentration and achievement. Applications of this philosophy include the following practices:
- Students are asked to keep only items of immediate use at their table desks. Water bottles are kept on student tables or on a side shelf.
- We use natural and dim lighting as much as possible.
- Numerous opportunities for movement occur throughout the day to support and encourage positive energy flow (example: body breaks are integral to class routines).
I believe that within each of us is perfection and that every day is a new day with new opportunities for success. Our power is in the “present” moment – why I named this blog PRESENT (the other reason I named it PRESENT is a play on words about attendance importance 🙂). I see a big part of my role as teacher is to help students to recognize that perfect part within themselves where anything and everything is possible.
How I love to spend my time
When I’m not working hard at school there are many things I love to do. Here is a list of some of them:
- painting and drawing
- spending time with friends and family
- practicing yoga
- flying airplanes
- playing piano, guitar and singing
- learning new things
I share my life with my husband, a retired high school teacher, who prefers to spend time in the sky. Together, we are caretakers of a Piper Cherokee 140.